???????????e" and you're DONE!??????? ??????????????Prev?????1????2????3????4????5????6????7????8???9???10
????11????12????13????14????15????16????17?????Next????????? ?Narrow your search????????All???Layouts? ???? ????????????????My pYzam? | ?My Profile? | ?Settings??? ?You have new aler BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, October 20, 2008

Poets Corner

I chose the Negro spiritual titled Old Man River, best sung by Paul Robeson; a famous negro spiritual singer of the 1930s. I think my version of the spiritual brings upon a different tone. The song Old Man River is about a man named river who throughout troubles continues to roll along. It appears to be that nothing can stop him. The Mississippi River is symbolically Old Man River, symbolizing the freedom of the water floating to safety. Being translucent so that any obstacles or blockages are quite easily “rolled” over by this strong river. In my version however, the Old Man River faces hardships and doesn’t go through them easily. This creates a variation of the tone.

Been out here long, the whole long day
Wipe your brow
Keep your spirits up an don’t them sway
Your Massa’s cumin
That rivers slowing
Getting weary
A lynchins nearin
Will my river keep rollin along?

0 comments: